[Nesabes] Job opportunities in Haverhill
apovenmire at necc.mass.edu
Mon Aug 15 12:30:28 EDT 2011
Community Action, Inc of Haverhill is looking for two ESOL instructors for Tuesday and Thursday PM classes. Classes are held from 6:00 PM - 8:30PM. Teachers arrive 5:30 - leave 9:00PM. Total 7.5 hrs/week x 32 weeks (64classes). Rate of pay, 18.27/hr.
Interested candidates should contact Nancy Tariot at 978 373-1971, by email Ntariot at communityactioninc.org<mailto:Ntariot at communityactioninc.org> or fax 978 373 8966. More info about the position is pasted below.
Community Action, Inc.
Education and Training Department
Adult Learning Center
The ABE/ESOL Instructor provides group and individual instruction to adult learners; aligns the curriculum to the ABE frameworks; participates in curriculum and program development, models lifelong learning to students. Supports the Director in meeting the Program Performance Standards as defined by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities: (not intended to be an exhaustive list)
* Completes lesson plans for each class.
* Uses curriculum frameworks to guide instruction, ensure coverage and promote mastery.
* Chooses lesson content that directly relates to curriculum goals and is appropriate in relation to student development.
* Presents content in a manner that demonstrates mastery of subject matter.
* Creates a desirable learning environment that reflects appropriate discipline, supports instructional purposes, conveys high expectations and keeps students on task.
* Communicates realistically high expectations for all students.
* Uses instructional time efficiently and effectively, allocating most of time available to curriculum-related activities and pacing instruction appropriately.
* Establishes a positive classroom rapport.
* Stresses the importance of attendance to students.
* Makes an effort to be at every scheduled class.
* Arrives 30 minutes prior to the start of class, keeps class engaged for the duration of the class and keeps break time reasonable.
* Provides organized structure for classroom work: reviews, provides overview, identifies specific objectives, gives clear directions, makes smooth transitions, summarizes and achieves closure.
* Uses appropriate learning activities for the objectives: demonstrates and explains clearly; provides for reinforcement through guided and independent practice.
* Uses a variety of instructional methods.
* Ensures active participation of all students in learning activities.
* Integrates and supervises the use of technology/computers for pertinent class material.
Assessment and Communication
* Maintains student folders/portfolios which students will review regularly to update progress.
* Monitors student learning and uses evaluative data to adjust instruction.
* Communicates effectively, explains clearly, questions effectively and responds appropriately.
* Reviews student goals, collects required documentation of achievement and assists students in identifying new goals.
* Informs counselors of student issues, leaving or poor attendance.
* Submits weekly attendance attached to time sheet
* Reports student achieved and new student goals to Assessment counselors for input into SMARTT system.
* Maintains an effective working relationship and communication with other staff.
* Shows positive work attitude.
* Shows interest in working as a team to improve the strength of the program.
* Works to attain professional goals through staff development.
* Reports in writing to the Director on the highlights, pitfalls, and progress of the class at the end of the semester.
* Other related duties as assigned by the Director
* Bachelors degree required, Teaching Certificate preferred
* Experience working with the adult learner population
* Ability to adapt teaching styles and materials to meet individual needs of students
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
Alisa Vlahakis Povenmire
Director, Northeast SABES
Center for Adult Education Programs and Practitioners
Northern Essex Community College at the Riverwalk
360 Merrimack Street
Building 9, Entry K, 4th Floor
Lawrence, MA 01843
apovenmire at necc.mass.edu<mailto:apovenmire at necc.mass.edu>
SABES: Training Leaders in Adult Basic Education
SABES promotes high quality adult basic education services through training, support, and resources that improve the skills and knowledge of practitioners and strengthen programs.
For more information on the System for Adult Basic Education Support (SABES), please go to: www.sabes.org or http://sabes.org/northeast
Northeast SABES is funded by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and is supported by Northern Essex Community College.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the NEsabes