[Nesabes] SCALE Job Posting
dgray at necc.mass.edu
Tue Jul 13 10:20:00 EDT 2010
SCALE Job Posting-IMMEDIATE Openings
Part-Time PositionS (3), Afternoons
for new program with dislocated workers
Starting July 19, 2010
The Somerville Center for Adult Learning Experiences (S.C.A.L.E.) is now accepting applications for the positions of part-time ELL Teacher - pre-vocational low-mid-intermediate to start on July 19, 2010.
Schedule: All classes take place from 12:30-4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
§ Teacher 1: M/W/F - Oral communication (3 hrs), computers (4 hrs), basic math and using numbers to complete tasks (3 hrs), Next Steps career exploration (1), Life-long learning strategies (1) - 12 contact hours/wk, 6 prep hours/wk
§ Teacher 2: T/TH - Reading/Writing (4 hrs), Working w/Others project-based activities to develop problem-solving and teamwork skills (4 hrs) - 8 contact hours/wk, 4 prep hours/wk
§ Teacher 3: 8 hrs of team teaching with T 1 and T2 in math, Next Steps, Reading/Writing and Life-long learning - 8 contact hours/wk, 4 prep hours/wk
Teaching responsibilities begin on Monday, July 19, 2010 and continue through September 3, 2010. The program will continue through January 28, 2011; school year positions will be posted in August.
· Salary range is $27.73 - $29.85 per hour in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement. ($28.56 - $30.75 per hour as of September 1, 2010)
Develop & document engaging curriculum and provide student-centered, interactive instruction in vocational context to low-intermediate to mid-intermediate level ELL students. All students are dislocated workers recently laid off from AMES Safety Envelope Company and instruction will be in the context of improving English for re-entry into jobs or training. Instruction includes materials and content choices that are relevant to program goals and responsive to student input and feedback.
Teachers will assist with preparing students and documenting gains in pre-post assessment in oral/aural language (BEST +), writing (REEP-type writing sample), computer skills (competency checklist), and/or math/numeracy (in-house assessment). Teachers will meet regularly to trouble shoot program issues, coordinate instruction, strategize on best practices and share curriculum. Teachers will use curriculum development hours to contribute lessons regularly to course binders and maintain attendance.
* Prepare lesson plans and appropriate curriculum
* Participate in program meetings
* Evaluate student progress and make placement recommendations as required by department policy/procedures
* Work effectively with other teachers, counselor(s) and program administrator on student and program issues
* Follow department policy/procedures regarding substitutes and substitute lesson plans
* Bachelor's Degree; Masters in ESOL or adult literacy preferred.
* Minimum of 3 years ELL classroom teaching experience - at least one complete year teaching adult immigrants
* Experience and interest in teaching pre-vocational or pre-employment ESOL preferred
* Demonstrated knowledge of a variety of learner-centered teaching approaches and effective integrated skills activities
* Teacher 1 must be skilled at teaching computer literacy and using WORD, excel, email, navigating the Internet; basic math and numeracy as found in workplace contexts
* Massachusetts Teacher Certification a plus
* BEST Plus and REEP certification is preferred but not required for these positions.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
All jobs require some computer use. General office and classroom environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting.
Reports to: ELL Program Administrator
Process for Application: To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter, current resume, and three letters of reference to:
ELL Program Administrator
167 Holland Street
Somerville, MA 02144
Email: bstone at k12.somerville.ma.us<mailto:bstone at k12.somerville.ma.us>
SCALE is an AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
and is committed to building a diverse workplace.
We strongly encourage applications from people of diverse backgrounds.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 118 bytes
More information about the NEsabes