[AAACE-NLA] What should we do about federally-funded adult education research?

David Rosen DJRosen at theworld.com
Fri May 14 15:01:42 EDT 2010

Advocacy colleagues,

Tom Sticht wrote:
> I wonder if anyone recalls the following message which started
> the strand labeled Pre- and Post-NIFL Agenda and if so are there
> thoughts
> about advancing the research and dissemination agenda for the Dept.
> of Ed.
> after NIFL disappears this Fall?

We no longer have funding for an independent adult literacy education
research center. We no longer have research funded by the National
Institute for Literacy. Instead, I believe, there is a small amount of
money -- if I recall correctly, about $2 million -- which the U.S.
Department of Education's Institute for Education Sciences (IES) is
supposed to use for adult literacy education research. Adult Education
is one of the 15 areas of research listed at http://ies.ed.gov/funding/ncer_progs.asp

Here's a description from that web page of what that research is
supposed to do:
Program Announcement: Adult Education CFDA 84.305A
Program Officer:
Dr. Elizabeth Albro
(202) 219-2148
Elizabeth.Albro at ed.gov

Purpose
Through its Adult Education research program, the Institute intends to
contribute to improvement of basic reading, writing, and mathematics
skills of adult learners by: (1) exploring malleable factors1 (e.g.,
adults' skills, instructional practices, curricula) that are
associated with better student outcomes, as well as mediators and
moderators of the relations between these factors and student
outcomes, for the purpose of identifying potential targets of
intervention; (2) developing innovative interventions (e.g.,
curricula, instructional practices, and technology) for improving
reading, writing, and mathematics skills of adult learners; (3)
evaluating fully developed interventions for improving reading,
writing, and mathematics skills of adult learners through efficacy or
replication trials; (4) evaluating the impact of interventions that
are implemented at scale; and (5) developing and validating
assessments for use in adult education settings.

The long-term outcome of this program will be an array of tools and
strategies (e.g., assessments, instructional approaches, programs)
that have been documented to be effective for improving reading,
writing, and mathematics skills of adult learners

1 By malleable factors, we mean factors that can be changed and are
potential targets for intervention.

On April 8th IES issued a two-round Request for Applications, with
Letters of Intent due in April and July, and Applications due in June
and September.

Right now, that's what we have for federally-funded adult literacy
education research, and, as far as I know, only that. Some researchers
I have talked with are concerned that:

1) there is now only a very small amount of money for federally-funded
adult education research, a fraction of the funding that existed when
NIFL and NCSALL or NCAL were in operation.
2) because the research is now directly administered by the Department
of Education's IES (this was not the case for NIFL, NCSALL or NCAL)
that some kinds of research, for example independent research or
evaluation on the effectiveness of the National Reporting System, will
not be funded.
3) there is lack of information about how the research agenda was
formed, what independent adult education research experts may or may
not have been consulted in forming the agenda, how the IES is/isn't or
will/won't be guided by Adult Education Research expertise, and that
4) the U.S. Department of Education's What Works Clearinghouse, after
having removed adult education as one of its  topic areas a few years
ago, presumably because there was no research that passed muster, the
topic area has not been restored. Presumably there is not yet any
research worthy of being included in the What Works Clearinghouse for
Adult Education. If that's the case, then drastically cutting federal
money for adult education research does not appear to most researchers
to be a good solution to this problem.

There may also be other concerns that I am not aware of.

To answer your question, Tom, I think we need to:

1. advocate the return to a model of federal funding for an
independent (university/ies-sponsored) adult education research center
2. urge the National Coalition for Literacy, and all its voting
national member organizations (COABE, State Directors, ProLiteracy,
TESOL, and others) to make a well-funded, independent research center
one of its top three priorities
3. include this as a high priority in our field's federal advocacy work.

David J. Rosen
Adult Literacy Advocate
DJRosen at theworld.com